Newton Park Estate
The Newton Park Estate is a Victorian Residential Development, in North Leeds. It has been a conservation area since the 1970’s. It is now part of the Chapeltown Conservation area., though is actually in Potternewton. The Newton Park Estate was first conceived in 1871 by the Lupton Family.
The Conservation report on the area states the following :
The Newton Park Estate is accessed through an imposing gateway with pedestrian entrances on each side which lends a feeling of exclusivity and formality to this estate. Places of worship punctuate the area, (St Martin’s Church and Union Chapel ) providing a variation of scale and architectural character. Building form varies from detached and semi detached villas to elegant terraces, often standing side-by side. Architectural styles vary from typical late Victorian ‘gothic’ villa type properties, which can be seen in many other Leeds suburbs, to more individualistic Arts and Crafts designs. Sandstone is mixed in some cases with render and tile hanging. Natural materials to some footpaths and carriageways lend a sense of quality and help to unify the area. A high stone wall on Chapel Road and continuing north on the east side of Hall Lane and the short stretch of lower wall north of 315 Chapeltown Road (in front of St Martin’s Church) are part of the boundary to Newton Park. This is of historical interest as well as helping to give the Newton Park Estate a distinct identity.
The Lupton family ,who owned the land, appointed the leading architect George Corson (who two years later would win a competition for the laying out of Roundhay Park) to produce a layout for an exclusive residential development on the site of a nursery and tea gardens in the south part of their estate, Newton Park, in Potternewton. The Tea Gardens belonging to Newton Hall can be seen (in Red) on this map of 1842.
His plan for unknown reasons was abandoned, instead they established the Newton Park Building Club, and in 1879 employed Chorley and Connon to produce an over-all plan for the Newton Park Estate and design most of the houses (except for the terrace lower down which was designed by Smith and Tweedale)
The layout is geometrical. There is an imposing gateway on Chapeltown Road, which has the following notice
There are then pedestrian entrances to each side. This marks the beginning of the principal street, St Mary’s Road which leads to the largest house on the estate Rocklands (this is now known as St Mary’s and is an NHS clinic).
St Mary’s Road
St Mary’s Road is a broad street with grass verges which are lined with trees. It is made up of Terraced houses to the North but they are all so different from each other with amazing architectural details such as giant shells above the doors.
Oak road bisects St Mary’s Road. Here is a view from the top of St mary’s road looking down at the junction of Oak road, you can still see the gates at the bottom.
Virtually all the Nineteenth Century houses have been attributed either to Chorley or to Chorley and Connon. According to Janet Douglas in Building a Great Victorian City – Leeds Architects and Architecture 1790-1914 when talking about the Newton Park Estate.
Chorley’s stone terraces and semi-detached villas are pleasant…in terms of their design. However, there are four residences in the Domestic Revival style which are exceedingly striking. Penraevon on Laurel Mount is probably the best of these:built in stone in 1881 with a half timbered gable above an oriel window, leaded lights and a pretty timber porch. Eltonhurst and Oakfield (1885) on St Mary’s Road, remain as spectacular as the illustration in the builder suggests:a cavalcade of fishscale tiling, half timbering and decorated plaster coving below large gables, with their roofs continuing as catslides to the ground floor and with wooden porched entrances to the sides. The largest house on the estate is the twin gabled Rockland of 1886, built for Francis Lupton with the same recipe of stone, render, hung tiles and tall brick chimneys
Rockland, the home of Francis Martineau Lupton, (Great Great Grandfather of Princess Catherine) which is also part of the Newton Park Estate.
The illustration above is of the two houses Eltonhurst and Oakfield. The illustration was published in The Builder in 1881. It was designed by the same architects as Penraevon and at the same time by Chorley and Connon. (image from Archiseek). It looks very similar today
EltonHurst and Oakfield 2016
The Buildings of England. Yorkshire West Riding Leeds, Bradford and the North by Peter Leach and Nikolaus Pevsner say this about Newton Park Estate
The Newton Park Estate was laid out by the Lupton Family of Newton hall (now dem.). It’s lodge (1856) and gateposts survive on Chapeltown Road by St Martin’s church, which was built for the new estate. Francis and Darnton Lupton first engaged George Corson to draw up plans for developing their estate at the beginning of the 1870’s but building was only begun in 1879 to plans by Chorley and Connon (who also designed most of the houses). The principal street is St Mary’s Road, a gated street south of St Martin’s Church off Chapeltown Road. On the right No’s 1-10, a terrace of 1894 by Smith and Tweedle, the houses with similar plans but varied facades whose attractive detailing includes half-timbered gables, paired windows with deep sashes, and shell like porches. Eltonhurst and Oakfield of 1885 are semi detached houses by Chorley and Connon in Domestic revival style withthe full gamut of fish scale tiling, applied half timbering, decorated plaster coving below big gables, their roofs continue as catslidesto ground floor level. Their largest house on the estate is the twin-gabled Rockland of 1886 for Francis Lupton. The most attractive is Penraevon of 1881 in Laurel Mount. Again Domestic Revival but in stone, with a half timbered gable above an oriel window, leaded lights and a pretty timbered porch.
The Estate was given a highly original shopping arcade at nos 168 – 176 Chapeltown Road in 1890 by Archibald Neill. Less wild than his nearby Union Chapel but still bizarrely detailed, the first floor of the central pair of shops set back between each shop transmute above capitals to form tapering buttresses rising above the eaves. Two splendid carved lions perch above the shopfronts at each end. Coursed stone and mullions throughout.
Also on Laurel Mount is Oaklands a detached villa built 1906 , which after being lived in by the developer who built it with his family became a boarding house for theatricals from the 1940’s onwards – rumour has it that Stewart Granger stayed here
Next is the semi-detached villas called The Old Vicarage – which was of course the Vicarage for St Martins Church, it is now a family home and Laurel Bank which is flats.
In the 1920s, Newton Hall, the ancient residence of the Lupton family, which adjoined the northern boundary of the area, was demolished and the extensive grounds surrounding were built over to create the St Martin’s. Around this time the two blocks of houses called Newton Park Mansions were built, in stone with slate roofs and shared gardens. The mansions are split into two blocks one more on St Mary’s Road is number 1-4 and the other on Laurel Mount are numbers 5-10 which as you can imagine confuses ALL delivery drivers and Taxis.
If you want to read more about the general area – read this post