Garden Room Before and After

The Garden room

This room was called the garden room as we did not know what else to call it, the previous tenants had used it as a bedroom,  before that it had been an office,  though originally it had been the formal dining room. It had deep open work coving and a low dado. The garden room represented what we wanted it to become, a room that was surrounded by garden. It certainly wasn’t a reflection of what it was despite the giant mural of a rose (not ours but the previous tenants)

Before

gardenroom
Moving in day

 

Garden Room before
Room clear ready to start work

 

 

second reception room
Estate agents picture – that magnolia paint was hiding a lot!

 

 

245209870
Damaged windows because, as we discovered the bay window roof had failed

245209961

It was a sad room, when the floor fitters came to measure up the house they called it the room with window bars (mmm nice description) In summary its problems were

– holly tree blocking all the light to the room

– broken boarded up window

– bars at the window

– blocked up fireplace

– original doors removed and door frame reduced

– damp in the corner

– electrical Trunking

– floor had been re-boarded so no original floor boards

– radiators installed on an angle (think the installer had been drunk)

Mind you we did make it our living room for the first two months whilst we did up the other room (needs must).

During

This process took 3 months and involved plasterers, roofers, glazers, builders, carpenters, floor fitters, electricians, plumbers, and a sandblaster (for the fireplace)….and a lot of prep, finishing and decision making by the two of us!

245209960
Taking off the failed plaster
245209977
Bay window roof…needed to be totally replaced

 

245209953
Security bars down
245209985
New Bay window roof going on

 

245210052
French doors going in
245209998
Opening up the fire place

245209984245209926 245210376

245210613
Laying the floor

After

So what did we do? we got the tree cut back (see tree cutting) which allowed more light to flood in. We repaired the bay window. We put in a french door on the other side of the room (see french doors). Replaced missing skirting and dado. Knocked the fire place out. Installed a new fire surround. Updated all the electrics. Had the window bars removed, encapsulated all the stained glass, created matching stained glass for the missing windows.  Decorated. Installed new floors and a new door! The chair is an antique Victorian Liberty Carpet chair which I spotted on Ebay for £200, the chairs are all different Ercol carver chairs (I think everyone should have a seat with arms). They have all been bought from ebay for roughly £25 each. The clock is a Vitra Sunburst clock , the yellow pedestal is antique Burmantofts. The sideboard was another ebay find picked up from Harrogate for £75. The woollen blinds which have since been put up at the window are thermal lined and made from Moon wool in Melton Wool earth seagrass.

gr6

gr5

And here it is again, a year later – thoroughly lived in on a sunny winters morning

 

 

Share

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.